Monday, March 1, 2010

Songs of Praise


Adjusting to the time was difficult, in light of the crazy sleep schedule I was keeping even before with all of the flight delays. I was falling asleep on the bus ride back that first day as Bryan was talking to me. On Tuesday, I tried to get up at a decent hour to get to Hebrew University and meet with my advisor. Bryan was able to contact his friend Jesse who is a student there. Jesse was happy to show me around. Since Bryan and Sarah wanted to see Jesse’s family, they decided to go with me. Sara carried David bundled up the whole time. Bryan was also interested in seeing the campus. Jesse brought his 3 year old daughter Gracie, too, who has light blonde hair. Everywhere we went, the Arab faculty admired Gracie. “Some people in Bethlehem told me that she was worth 3,000 camels,” Jesse said. This was a big compliment.
I met with my advisor, which was very reassuring. I then came out to where my entourage was waiting for me. Jesse was able to point out lots of helpful things for me, I was able to get my student ID, and get set up with a mailbox. Bryan took a bus on to his classes, and Sara and I went to Jesse’s home where his wife offered us lunch. It was a huge blessing to be there, but I kept falling asleep on the couch as Jesse was talking to me. Sara and I headed back together.
By Wed., the early mornings finally got to me. I didn’t have any clocks or time in my room since I had no operating cell phone. I slept until 1 p.m. I decided to rest for that day, emailed my boss at Docent, and started working on a project after he replied.
One rainy day, I went over to a neighbor’s apartment. They work at the school down the street with Sara. I needed some help with my laptop, and this was the original purpose of the trip. It was a young couple who was about to leave the area to go to Jordan to have their first child. They are to return in June. They offered me an amazing drink: goods brought from teavanna in the states, lol. They were also making pancakes and extended an offer for me to eat with them. I got a full dinner out of this! It was “comfort” food, to say the least. Part of me wondered what God had in store for me to spend time w/people who would be shortly departing.
The advantage of spending time with other Christian Americans, at least initially, has been that they have been able to tell me about the culture here and the tensions. A fellow American who has been working in Jordan was staying the weekend with them. As I was listening to their conversations, I was reminded how many Muslims there are in the world, which might even be equal to the number of Christians who really understand the gospel. This increased the desire to bring forth the gospel, which I was already feeling in my heart.
I hear the Mosque calls day and night where I live. Again, I am struck by the dedication. In Jerusalem, you will certainly find “secular” Jews and Muslims alike. But you will also find many of the most dedicated of the dedicated here. This can make for both a hindrance and door to the gospel when it comes to those who are deeply religious.
But I have been going over Tim Keller’s book “Reason For God.” One thing that Keller writes about is that most people, regardless of their beliefs, at least have a respect for Jesus. I can’t think of a better starting point for the gospel than talking about who Jesus could be…
Indeed, I met another interesting shop owner. He was a very kind Muslim but sold what was marketable, including nativity scenes and other sculptures of Jesus. While Bryan and I were sitting down with him, he said, “We all believe in the same God.”
I received his statement and made no objections at that time. He was saying this as a way of connecting to us in a gesture of friendship, and meant the best. I wasn’t shocked by what he said, but still found it interesting.
There is another kind Muslim shopowner that has us in for tea. He has an adopted Jewish daughter who is studying at Harvard. He was friends with her parents, who had been good customers of his. I do want to note the exceptions to the divisions here!

I know that God has brought me here for a reason. I find myself expecting big things, which isn’t necessarily bad, but my fault is in my tendency to expect them right away.
The great thing about going to a university is students! Wherever you are, you can find students engaged in a variety of community service and that is no different here. The Jewish students are involved in many efforts around the community. For Purim, I made up a goodie bag to bring to children in the hospital. Students would be going there to visit that night. I couldn’t make it that time, but I hope to join in on such efforts .
As I was walking around campus and talking to God, I resolved to just try to serve Him in the small things on a day to day basis, as I wait for big things to come.
On a Saturday, I went to a church service down the street with Sara. It was for the American teachers at the school. The missionary to Jordan was there and led the worship. She sang several songs that I can recall from the past: “Beautiful One” a song that Ronda and I often sang in Nashville, a Matt Redman song, which always makes me think about Tiffany, and others.
I felt overwhelmed that God had heard my prayers and brought me to this place. I was reminded that Jesus is so much greater than what I will ever realize in my time on the earth. I finally let the dams of my emotions down.
Here are some of the lyrics.

Wonderful so wonderful is Your unfailing love
Your cross is spoken mercy over me
No eye has seen, no ear has heard, no heart can fully know
How glorious, how beautiful You are

Chorus:
Beautiful one I love
Beautiful one I adore
Beautiful one my soul must sing

Powerful so powerful Your glory fills the skies
Your mighty works displayed for all to see
The beauty of Your majesty awakes my heart to sing
How marvelous, how wonderful You are

You opened my eyes to Your wonders anew
You captured my heart with this love
‘Cause nothing on earth is as beautiful as You

No comments:

Post a Comment